Common Questions for Entering into a Divorce

Divorce is one of the most common family law cases. Since it’s something many go through at some point in their lives, there are many common questions about divorce. Our divorce attorney at the Lake of the Ozarks is here to help answer some of the most frequently asked questions surrounding the topic of divorce.

How long will the divorce take?

The length of time required to complete the divorce process depends on many factors, such as the degree of animosity between spouses, the level of cooperation during settlement negotiations, and whether there are children or complex assets such as a business.

How will our marital property be divided?

Marital property in Missouri must be divided in a way that is “fair” and “conscionable”, which does not necessarily mean a fifty-fifty split. If both parties cannot decide how to divide their property and liabilities, it will be up to the court to decide. The court will consider many factors to determine the property division. 

How much will it cost to get a divorce?

Our Lake of the Ozarks divorce attorney has an upfront pricing strategy so you will know your cost ahead of time. The cost of divorce is directly related to whether there are custody and child support issues, the degree of conflict, the number of areas that are not agreed-to, whether there is a family-owned business, whether there are questions about the marital or non-marital quality of property, and many, many other factors.

What is the quickest way to get through the divorce process?

An uncontested divorce is typically the quickest route to getting divorced. This means both parties want the divorce and the terms of settlement are agreed upon by both spouses.

How will child custody be determined?

If you cannot agree upon custody and visitation, the court will look at many factors to determine custody for you and your spouse. Traditionally, children lived mostly with one parent during the week and with the other parent every other weekend. A more equal division of time between the parents has become a more common custody arrangement in recent years.

How do I make sure my spouse will pay maintenance or child support?

If a court-ordered maintenance or child support payment is not made, there is action you can take. For example, garnishment of wages or going back to court on a contempt of court charge are common resolutions for not making the proper court-ordered payments.

What happens if we reconcile and want to cancel the divorce?

The divorce can be dismissed after a divorce petition has been filed. A request to dismiss can be submitted anytime before a judgment has been entered. 

Divorce can be an emotional time for everyone involved and is not something to enter into lightly. If you’re considering a divorce, and have questions you’d like answered, O’Donnell Law Center may be able to help.

We Carry Your Burden ~ You Carry On With Life.

Disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship is created by the publication of this blog.

The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising.

Phone: (573) 552-0317

O'Donnell Law Center, LLC
1026 Palisades Blvd. Suite 3
Osage Beach, MO  65065


Popular posts from this blog

Upcoming Events You Won’t Want to Miss

Estate Planning While Under Quarantine

4 Reasons Millennials Need a Family Lawyer